After last week’s LONGEST WEEK IN HISTORY I thought there was no better time than to list the small victories that have happened during the first week back at work. I’m usually better at January, seeing it as a time to get stuck into projects and starting a fresh, but this year I felt I really needed more time to just breathe and you know not take it all so seriously. Last week felt a little long not helped by the rain, an empty purse and my body still being on holiday/sleep mode but I’m beginning to see the light again. Here’s some of the good things I’ve been grateful for lately:
1. Listening to the radio and suddenly hearing a song by an old university friend. It was a really surreal moment. I was watching the birds eating their food in the garden with a cup of tea in hand and the Low Pines came on playing their new track, Broken Wing. Their new album is out at the beginning of February – go listen!
2. Enjoying new bathroom accessories c/o Murmur. Is there anything better than to reap the rewards of a newly decorated bathroom by treating it to new accessories? Murmur homeware takes inspiration from a simple aesthetic of Scandinavian and Japanese design. I’m besotted with the patterns and simple design of these products, that complement each other to create a seamless look throughout your home. They are a perfect match for our Moroccan inspired bathroom floor too.
Murmur kindly sent me products to enjoy including the Japanese Indigo towels, Curve towels, Seagrass (set of 3) baskets, Dahlia Noir Scented Candle and stoneware mugs (all of which, by the way, are currently in the sale). Bath, and me time, just got more frequent…
3. Watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi with my sister. Going to the cinema has turned into a monthly non-parents related catch up, and it’s lovely. I now have a big crush on Kylo Ren. Ahem. P.S LOVED this film.
5. Making a batch of lasagna and eating very tasty leftovers for the rest of the week. Why are leftovers so satisfying? I need to make more batch recipes like this. Any recommendations?
6. Being proud of myself at Roller Derby training. After the Christmas break I was dreading going back to RD and being rubbish (fitness wise) but I surprised myself. I’ve learnt so much in the last couple of weeks at training and little by little, my confidence is growing as a player. I *might* be getting good at this. Watch it, I’ll go and break a leg next time…
7. Walking Polly on the greyest of days but meeting like-minded people (also walking their dogs) who appreciate the eerie awesomeness of fog and grey skies; better than rain, right? I love the valley we live in.
8. Taking note of my 2018 happy list and trying to add it to my normal routine. I tried not to worry too much about NY resolutions last week as it was a big enough shock to simply get back into a routine. But I did drink good wine, read (but not as much as I’d liked), listen to music, and I’ve had fun on my new tablet (and turned off ALL the notifications on it) therefore using it more purposefully. Has anyone else played the game Alto? It’s SO good! Great for winding down in the evening. Oh, and I’m not behind on any of my work so that’s a great start on my resolution to being more organised.
9. Getting nice comments on Instagram. It’s a brilliant community once you find your chums on there and I can’t see myself ever tiring of it. I’m going to ensure I make some time to comment more on others accounts though, and not worry myself too much about the algorithm. P.S I’m due a phone upgrade in February and can’t wait to play with a new phone camera! I’m silly excited about this.
10. Seeing two deers on the horizon of the moors on one of our weekend walks. They gave me all the tingles. In full disclosure, I almost missed them as I was taking a photo of my new wellies!
How’s your January going?